The government has made it mandatory to link aadhaar card and pan card to establish more transparency and accountability. Since 2017, since the first announcement, the government has updated the end date four times. And the statement made by the officials during the recent announcement said the pan card, if not linked, will be deactivated. The person whose PAN card gets deactivated is liable for all the IT act’s consequences. Connecting a PAN card with an aadhaar card is mandatory to file your income tax returns. Let us take a look at its details.
What is the updated deadline for linking PAN-Aadhaar card?
Due to the impediments brought on by the pandemic of covid-19, all the processes of the government and private sector have been slowed down. Keeping this in mind, the government announced and extended the last date to link the aadhaar card and pan card from September 2021 to 31st March 2022. So, To connect your Pan card and aadhaar card to be safe from any legal actions.
Three different ways to link your PAN card with Aadhar card.
There are three easy ways you can link your PAN-aadhaar. We will guide you through each step, and you can opt for the one that works for you.
1) Linking PAN with Aadhaar Online Through the e-filing Website:
There are two ways to do this.
(i) By login in with your ID and password (5 step procedure)
The process of creating your own ID and password on the website is very easy and hassle-free. Gone are the days when government websites used to be non-optimized. Just follow their steps, and you can link your aadhaar card and pan card very easily.
- Register yourself on the e-filing website and login into your account.
- Click on your profile setting tab and select the link aadhaar option.
- A window with your details appears to check if the information is correct and relevant as per your aadhaar.
- Enter the aadhaar number and resolve the captcha code.
- Click on the link now button, and you have successfully linked your aadhaar card with your pan card.
(ii) Without logging in with your ID and password. (3 step procedure)
If you don’t want to get into the process of creating your User ID and password, you can still link your aadhaar with a pan card. You can do the process directly by following the process mentioned below.
- Visit the e-filing income tax website.
- Click on the option link aadhaar and enter the details of your aadhaar and pan. Enter your name as per aadhaar. Resolve the captcha.
- Click link aadhaar, and it is done.
2) Linking PAN with Aadhaar by Sending an SMS on phone.
This is another easiest method to link your aadhaar and pan. The government came up with this option to help the non-tech people and make the process easier for them. Follow the guidelines below, and you will be able to link your aadhaar and pan card without having to visit any website.
- This is the easiest option for you. You just have to send an SMS to 567678 or 56151 from your registered mobile number.
- The government has made this possible for the convenience of non-tech citizens,
- Here’s an example of this.
- The format in which you have to send the text message is
UIDPAN<SPACE><12 digit Aadhaar><Space><10 digit PAN>
Demo example: UIDPAN 328462394041 JBQWE6757P
3) How to link Pan with Aadhaar offline by filling the form?
You can also opt for an offline process if it’s convenient for you. The government has allotted centers specially designed for handling all the work related to government documents.
- To link the pan and aadhaar offline by filling out a form, visit the nearest E-Seva center or aadhaar Seva Kendra allotted by governments.
- Ask for the form of linking aadhaar card and pan card.
- Fill up the mandatory details and make sure you spell the words correctly; also, verify your aadhaar and pan numbers.
- Submit the form and wait for the message of successful linking of the aadhaar and pan card.
Video step by step guide on how to link aadhaar with pan card?
If you want a visual representation of all the above information of linking aadhaar card and pan card, watch the video.
What to do if failed to link your Pan with Aadhaar?
If you have tried and the aadhaar and pan card has failed to link, there is no need to worry. This can happen, and we have got your back. Below are the problems as to why it happens and its solutions.
- The number one reason this happens is due to the mismatch of the spelling of your name on the aadhaar card and pan card.
- It would help if you got it corrected from E-Seva Kendra or Aadhaar Seva Kendra by following the process suggested by the official person.
- After all the spellings are correct and match perfectly, you can seamlessly link aadhaar and pan card.
How to link pan with aadhaar if the name or date of birth is mismatched :
This is one of the most common obstacles that people face in the process of linking the aadhaar card and pan card. It happens due to the non-alertness of people and the government officials during the process of generating their aadhaar card or pan card. But as there is a solution to every problem, this is not any different case either. This is the most common problem people are facing in lining their aadhaar card and pan card.
Incase of Aadhaar correction:
If your aadhaar card needs some corrections, you can easily do so by following the steps mentioned below.
- You can visit the UIDAI website.
- Enter your aadhaar details
- You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP, and you can easily fill up the correct spelling of your name.
Pan card details correction:
Gone are the days when you used to need to visit a government office to correct the incorrect information on your pan card—the online facility provided by the NSDL website functions smoothly and effectively.
- You can make the necessary corrections on your pan card by visiting the NSDL website.
- Apply for the correction of DOB on the NSDL website
- You will be redirected to the associated page.
- Fill up the details, upload the relevant documents and digitally sign in the required fields.
- Your DOB will be corrected within 1-4 working days.
How to check PAN-Aadhaar linking status?
After you are done with the process of linking aadhaar with a pan card from any of the above methods, you can simply track the status of your application by following the steps listed below.
You can also follow these steps to check if you have applied for linking aadhaar and pan card in the past.
- Visit the e-filing portal Income Tax
- Enter your aadhaar and pan details
- Click on the view link aadhaar status.
Why is it important to link pan with aadhaar?
When the government decides to form a new rule, there must be some solid reason. To develop more transparency and clarity in India’s growth government made it mandatory to link your aadhaar and pan so that every individual’s identity comes on record and leaves significantly less space for suspicious activities.
- If you don’t link your aadhaar card and pan card, your pan card will be deactivated, and you will be liable for all consequences under the IT act.
- If you link your aadhaar and pan card, your income tax filing becomes easier.
- If your aadhaar and pan card is linked, you are saved from the fraud of having multiple pan cards or any misuse of your old misspelled pan card.
FAQs for Linking Aadhaar with PAN:
If I don’t fall into the taxable bracket, do I still have to get an Aadhaar card or have it linked to my PAN?
It is mandatory to link your aadhaar with pan whether you come in a taxable bracket or not. So yes, you have to get your aadhaar linked with a pan card as your income can grow with time.
I used to live in India but settled abroad. I plan on returning to India. Do I need to apply for an Aadhaar Card, or am I exempt from this rule?
If your plan is to spend one year and more in India after your return, you will be eligible to enroll in the aadhaar program in India.
Do NRIs residing in India have to link their PAN as well?
No, it is only applicable to Indian citizens as it is associated with the identity of an Indian individual.
Is it mandatory to create an account with the department website?
No, it’s not mandatory to have an account. Now you can link the aadhaar card and pan card without registering on the department’s website.
How long is the OTP sent by the Aadhaar database valid for?
The OTP is valid for 10 minutes.
How can I change the mobile number that is registered with Aadhaar?
You can change your mobile number for aadhaar by visiting the UIDAI portal, and you will find the link to change your number there.
Can I de-link my Aadhaar number?
Yes, you can do so by visiting the official website of UIDAI. You will find the link there that will help you with this process.
How do I make changes to an Aadhaar Number that I have filed?
The flexibility that the government has allowed in this process is remarkable. You can make changes to your aadhaar and make corrections simply by visiting the UIDAI website and finding the relevant link.
What should I do if my details as per my PAN card do not match with the ones mentioned on my Aadhaar card?
In this case, You will have to get your pan card corrected. You can do so by visiting the NSDL website, and you can easily find the relevant link on this website and follow the hassle-free process to make corrections to your pan card.
Do I have to submit any documentary proof to link my PAN and Aadhaar card?
No. You don’t require any documents to submit to link your aadhaar card and pan card unless there are some corrections in the spellings of your details.
What are the details I have to check when linking my PAN with my Aadhaar card?
You need to be sure that the spellings and the other details on your pan card match with the aadhaar card. This is all you will need to verify before linking your aadhaar card with your pan card.
How to link pan with aadhaar without a mobile number?
You can do so by opting-in with the option of email. Use your email address to get OTP, and you are good to go.
By following these easy steps, you will easily be able to link your pan Card with your Aadhaar Card and avoid any future penalties!