Grown all over the world, Pomelo is known as a large citrus fruit and each fruit contains most of your daily vitamin C requirement and about 25% of your daily requirement of fibre. Pomelo is a combination of nutrients, vitamins and minerals and can be a unique addition to your diet ensuring healthy benefits to your body.
In this article, we shall encounter you with the facts on why pomelo is the optimal choice for your body and your overall well-being.
- Rich nutrient source- This citrus fruit is a rich source of vitamin C, potassium and other vitamins and minerals. It also contains protein and fibre and therefore adds to your health factor.
- Reduces blood pressure-The potassium content in pomelo helps to reduce blood pressure which in turn lowers your risk of any heart disease or stroke. Potassium is a vasodilator, meaning it aids to release the tension of blood vessels and promotes blood circulation and oxygenation of organ systems.
- Pomelo treats atherosclerosis- The Vitamin C and pectin content in pomelo helps to treat atherosclerosis. These two substances in this fruit, play quite a big role in cleaning arterial plaque and also removes the harmful particles from arteries. The vitamin C especially helps to maintain the elastic nature of arteries and doesn’t make them brittle and in this way it helps in treatment of atherosclerosis.
- Inbuilt Anti-aging properties- The content of vitamin C and antioxidants in this citrus fruit eliminate the free radicals that are the prime cause of skin degradation. Pomelo intake prevents and reverses cellular damage caused by free radicals. Consuming the fruit on daily basis helps to prevent premature aging, fights age spots, lessens the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
- Heals the wound faster- One of the properties of vitamin C is that it helps to boost the formation of collagen, a protein which gives skin its elasticity and flexibility, thus ensuring faster healing of wounds and repairing of skin.
- Prevents osteoporosis- The minerals present in pomelo fruit are related to bone formation and prevent the bone from deteriorating. The calcium helps to maintain the bone health. Also, the potassium intake has been connected to bone mineral density as it helps to facilitate the uptake of other essential minerals that strengthen the bone.
- Weight management- The composition of pomelo includes good amount of dietary fibre with great nutrient benefits which soaks and reduces the starch and sugar from your body. This helps to lower the weight. Also pomelo is a low calorie fruit in contrary to its large size, with carbohydrates, proteins and fibre. This gives you fuller feeling and keeps you from consuming unnecessary foods that might be the cause for your weight gain.
- Prevents flu and common cold- Vitamin C is known to act as an Immunity booster. It revitalises the immune system and antibodies. This works in a manner to prevent bacterial infections and viral infections responsible for causing common cold and flu.
- Stronger gums and teeth- This fruit secures the flesh around the teeth and strengthens the gums.
- Constipation- Consuming Pomelo helps to smoothen out your constipation complications. One fruit of pomelo is packed with 6 grams of fibre. Fibre improves your digestive health and adds bulk to your stool and promotes overall wellness. In this way, pomelo promotes healthy digestion and eliminates problems like constipation and diarrhoea.
- Pomelo fruit prevents Cancer-It works as an anti-cancer. The bioflavonoids present in pomelo find their usefulness in reducing the symptoms of pancreatic cancer, breast cancer and intestinal tract cancer. It works to stop the cells of cancer from spreading particularly breast cancer. Research has shown the positive impact of pomelo fruit in reducing the spread and symptoms of cancer. The extracts from pomelo peels and leaves have been shown to kill cancerous cells and prevent the spread of cancer cells, in a test tube studies. However, more research is needed to understand how pomelo prevents the spread of cancer.
- Acts as a moisture for skin- Pomelo fruit nutrients also become the source of moisture for your skin, keeping it supple and soft.
- A good source of nutrient for pregnant Women-Vitamin C has a role to play in absorption of iron in body. This prevents anaemia which is a condition in which there is lack of red blood cells in blood. Intake of Pomelo, a rich source of vitamin C, in this scenario is an optimal health choice.
Apart from all these benefits, Pomelo helps to boost heart health by reducing the levels of cholesterol and triglycerides, two blood fats that have strong link with heart diseases.
In addition to this, the research has been done using the essential oils made from the peel of pomelo and it is known to posses antibacterial and antifungal properties.