How GM Diet Plan Helps to Lose 7 Kgs in 1 Week – Crucial Pros & Cons: GM diet plan or General Motors diet plan was designed in 1985 for the workers of GM motors. The reason for introducing this diet plan was to help the employees to lose weight, enhance the efficiency and capacity of work and increase productivity.
Background check indicates that, it was claimed that GM diet has been created in assistance from USA Department of Agriculture and FDA and a great deal of testing and research were done at John Hopkins research centre in this regard. The core promise of following the GM diet plan is that it aids you to lose up to 7kgs in 1 week. This aspect has given this diet plan the title of, “World’s Most Popular Weight Loss Fad Diet”.
The diet is packed with limited calorie intake of fruits and vegetables, proteins and huge amounts of water, in a weekly planned manner. It is a strict diet plan and an individual has to incorporate different kinds of food or food groups while following up with the plan.
7-Days General Motors Diet Plan (Diet Chart) For Weight Loss:
DAY 1– On day one, a person has to consume any fruit except banana. Consumption of melons is highly recommended. To stay hydrated, 8-10 glasses of water are to be taken. No specific amount of fruits is advised. It is better to avoid high sugar fruits like mango, jackfruit, pineapple & sapota to have finest results.
DAY 2– Consume vegetables only, cooked as well as uncooked, of your choice but no involvement of oil should be in this food. For the purpose of keeping water levels in the body at optimum range, drink 8-12 glasses of water. Boiled Potato should be consumed only at breakfast. No particular amount is specified. Incorporate veggies like bell pepper, broccoli, herbs, purple cabbage, carrot, cucumber etc. Avoid intake of salt and tomatoes. It is advised to eat more raw vegetables.
DAY 3– One can consume only fruits and vegetables, either cooked or uncooked. Banana & potatoes must be excluded from the diet on this day. Apart from this, consume 8-12 glasses of water. Intake of salt, oil, and high sugar fruits like sapota, jackfruit, mango etc., should be restricted or completely avoided.
DAY 4- Day 4 includes the introduction of dairy products. Eat only 6 to 8 bananas, 3- 4 glasses of milk (prefer skimmed milk) and drink 8-12 glasses of water. Vegetable soup is to be consumed as well on this day. Individual is not supposed to take fat milk and sugar. Also, take minimal quantities of salt and oil.
DAY 5- On day 5, protein has been incorporated into this diet plan and consumption of 250g of protein like fish and chicken is recommended. Fried chicken breast should not be consumed. Vegetarians can swap these foods with cottage cheese or brown rice. Next food to be consumed on this day is 6 tomatoes and 12-15 glasses of water is recommended. The increase of water intake is done to help in getting rid of uric acid.
DAY 6– Protein intake is continued on the 6th day. One cup of brown rice and unlimited amounts of any, uncooked & cooked vegetables (except potatoes) is to be consumed without including oil in them. Intake of 250g of protein- lean meat or cottage cheese/brown rice is recommended. Extra water consumption is advised to flush out uric acid.
DAY 7- On Day 7, it is recommended to take unlimited amounts of fruits & vegetables and brown rice. There has to be strict avoidance of packed fruit juice and sugar.
Important key points of General Motors diet plan:
- The diet plan is divided into 7 days.
- Hydration of the body is considered most crucial in the diet plan. The recommendation quantity is 8-12 glasses of water each day, throughout the diet.
- Exercise is kept optional in this diet plan and no stress is laid on doing so. Important thing to keep in mind is that this diet recommends against exercise during the first 3 days of a diet plan.
- The diet asks you to follow the “GM wonder soup” recipe and consume 2 to 3 bowls of this soup each day. The ingredients that go into this soup include; cabbage, celery, tomatoes, onions, bell pepper.
- No alcohol and fats are to be eaten while following GMD
- Avoid High calorie food and take only lean protein while following the diet plan.
Who should NOT follow General Motors diet plan?
- GM diet is not for everyone. The use of this diet is discouraged for pregnant women and lactating mothers.
- The diet plan is strictly advised NOT to be followed by people with health conditions, like heart and gastric issues. They must consult a doctor before considering taking such a step.
- In case you are on the medication, it is highly advised to consult your doctor before following up with the diet.
Pros of GM diet plan:
- Diet plan claims to stimulate weight loss and helps burn fat faster in comparison to other diet plans.
- This diet has laid claim to cleanse the body and clear it out of toxins and impurities.
- It is said to boost digestion.
- The diet claims to trigger and boost metabolism.
- It enhances the body’s capacity to burn fat.
- The diet has completely excluded added sugar. It only involves fructose from fruits in its plan.
- Diet can help you to get better, glowing, skin and help in improving the health of your skin.
- GM diet also claims to help you attain emotional stability and improvised self esteem.
- It works to cure irritable bowel syndrome and constipation, as well.
- The diet helps to remove fat from the waist and belly area.
- Quick way to reduce weight.
Cons of General Motors diet:
- The diet plan, in basic terms, is a fad diet or quick fix. It is not recommended for long term and sustainable weight loss.
- After the diet is completed, rebound effects may be experienced.
- The diet lacks nutrient supply and is scarce in nutrients like vitamin B-12, calcium and iron.
- The diet is not scientifically backed.
- It is important to have knowledge of the fact that low calorie diet more often results in loss of muscle and can possibly retard metabolism and this can lead to difficulty in weight loss, in the future.
- Excess water intake is yet another drawback of this diet plan.
- No dairy intake is included, except on the 4th day Even then fat-free milk is allowed for consumption.
- In GM diet plan, only Lean protein is allowed and this poses the problem of non availability of much energy for your body.
- Carbohydrates are nowhere to be taken in diet and this is not enough for a body to function properly.
- The diet may also cause irritability and mood swings.
- Weakness of body and tiredness may be experienced by the person following General Motors diet, the prime cause of which is sudden cutting down of calorie intake.
- Headaches and dizziness have also been experienced by people who followed this diet plan.
- Damaging impact on metabolism is the prime concern. Diet mainly consists of fibre and water and this does not boost metabolism and in reality slows it down.
- The body of an individual uses all the fluids in the diet for metabolism and if one doesn’t consume the required dose of water, it may lead to dehydration and cause muscles to become stiff and weak.
Which foods to avoid in GM Diet plan?
- Beans and legumes are to be avoided as they contain high amounts of calories.
- Coffee & tea are allowed without any sweeteners and milk.
- Alcoholic beverages and soda are not allowed in this diet.
- Cottage cheese and sour milk are allowed as an alternative to the meat for vegetarians.
- After completion of a 1-week diet plan, individuals are advised to have a high protein and low carb diet to have sustainable weight loss.
In conclusion, GM diet plan fulfils the purpose of short-term weight loss and lacks in providing long term benefits. After an individual finishes the 1 week diet plan and goes back to a normal diet, rebound effect is inevitable. In addition to this, it is advised to give at least a 2 week break before starting the diet plan again. The better suggestion is to follow this diet once a month.